Monday, November 1, 2010

Gender and Education

In today's society everyone looks at people's opinions and views on every kind of topic. So when it comes to gender and education, there is no secret that there is some type of bias with both girls and boys. One of the first things that I've noticed throughout my education experience is the huge overload of woman teachers over men teachers in elementary schools. Throughout my years of elementary school, I only had one male teacher and he was my physical education teacher. The only other males in my school was one 5th grade male teacher and my principal. It was easy to see the shift that occurred in middle school and high school. I started getting more male teachers as the grade levels increased. So why is there a sudden change in the amount of male teachers? Why does it seem as though you only see male teachers in higher grades? I went online to find out about this issue and I quickly found a teachers blog about it. The post talks directly about why there are not many male teachers in elementary schools today. I really liked what the blogger had to say about the issue. He brought up a lot of great information and facts.

When I searched "gender and education" on the internet, I found a couple good sites that had some useful information on them. One in particular was a site that mainly talked about gender differences in schools today. The site claims that girl and boys learn the same subjects correctly by using different teaching methods. For instance, a lot of schools talk about physics and relate the material to stuff that boys like and are interested in. This makes it more difficult for girls to enjoy to learn about the subject because it is harder to relate to. The website also talks about the difference between single-sex schools and co-ed sex schools. There were a bunch of good articles throughout this website.

In class I'd like to discuss more about the issue of male teachers in today's elementary schools and also the difference between single-sex and co-ed sex schools. 

2 comments:

  1. Kevin, I like your talking point about male elementary school teachers because they are rare to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your points and the information that you found :)

    ReplyDelete